Monday, December 1, 2014

Detail #125: A scribble on a piece of paper

"Quirky case vp in coord blocks/other v congruence"

So, I don't have a smart phone. Sometimes, I scribble ideas I have on whatever piece of paper I happen to have with me (and whatever thing I can use as a thing to support that piece of paper against), and sometimes, I find these pieces of paper a while later and post them here.

However, sometimes I find those ideas a while later and don't understand what my idea was.

I guess the idea there was that the other verb in a coordinated block of verbs, i.e.
Subject1 verbs and ε1 verbs
where is the empty string, and εrepresents a gap that corefers with Subject1, reference being marked by the index in this notation. It is possible I meant for the other verb to take the same congruence marking as the first verb does - so if quirky case does not have canonical congruence, neither will the second even if it usually were to take that in a non-coordinated block, i.e
I need-1P.SG
I-GEN lack-3P.SG* time-ACC 
I need-1P.SG time-ACC 
this leading to:
I-GEN lack-3P.SG and need-3P.SG time-ACC
and possibly also
I need-1.SG and lack-1.SG time-ACC 
*3P.SG also is zeroth person, i.e. personless verbs and the like. 

However, this is only a guess. My vague recollection of jotting down this idea seems to suggest there was some twist to it, or that there was some entirely different point that I believed I would recall whenever I returned to that particular backside-of-a-receipt.

No comments:

Post a Comment