Sunday, April 3, 2016

Detail #267: Extracting Certain Verbal Markers in Coordinated Structures

Think of structures along the lines of coordinating things like
go-past or go-fut?
in the context of, say, clarifying that you are not sure you heard right.
What if certain TAM markers were somehow extractable -
go-3sg-past or-3sg-fut?
In essence, "or" would be partially verbal there. We could also have things like
talk-3sg-pres and-3sg-pres and-3sg-pres
he talks and talks and talks
Maybe one could form larger complexes of extracted TAM markers:
sing-1sg-past and-1sg-present-and-(1sg)-future
I sang, I sing, and I will sing
Maybe the person can be omitted, maybe this only is permissible with the same person carrying over or maybe even a change in person could be introduced as well:
sing1-sg-present and-2sg-present
I sing and so do you
Maybe we don't even need to extract the TAM:
sing-1sg-present and-2sg
I sing and so do you

No comments:

Post a Comment